Welcome to Escribiente
Meetings are held on the first Wednesday of the month, and we welcome guests and members of the public who have an interest in learning more abut the fine art of beautiful writing. Please see our Meetings page for full details and directions.
Meet and mingle with local Escribiente calligraphers at our free monthly meetings. Guests welcome, so just drop by! We meet the first Wednesday of most months at the Manzano Mesa Multigenerational Center in Albuquerque (southwest corner of Elizabeth and Southern).
March 2, 2016, 6:30pm
Program topic: Round Robin Tips & Techniques. More info TK.
Information about Literally Letters workshops at Ghost Ranch (June 2016) has been posted to our Workshops page (right side).
Our next workshop with be Flourishing with Heather Held on April 23 & 24, 2016.
Contact Jan Florence to reserve your space.
Also check our page of Local Calligraphy Classes offered by Escribiente members.
New Mexico State Fair 2015
Escribiente members displayed their fine art of beautiful lettering at the State Fair each year in the Creative Arts Building at NM Expo, Albuquerque.
View Flickr slideshow of the Calligraphy exhibit at the 2015 New Mexico State Fair.
- Cover: Betsy Townsend’s weaving of a child’s lettering.
- Carrai Imai Workshop: Mastering Italic (review)
- Postcard Journaling, by Pat Vizzini
- Photo gallery: Nancy Napier’s Bookbinding Workshop
- In Memory of Betsy Brown Townsend
- Lettering in a Circle, by Esther Feske
- Upcoming, Resources, News, and more...
Escribiente member Rodger Mayeda crafts beautiful penholders and sells them through his Etsy store. If you’d like to order, order on the first of each month, as Rodger closes his store as soon as he has enough work for each month!
Escribiente Mentor Program
Escribiente has a mentor program for new members. Our objective is to assist new members with calligraphy and the many things associated with it. This is not designed to teach a hand, but to assist with various techniques and questions such as:
- How do you do that?
- I want to do this – but where do I start?
- What should I use ( i.e. ink, tool, paper)?
- I can’t make that letter, what am I doing wrong?
- Squash??? Well that is what it sounded like. (Gouache)
- Can you do calligraphy on this?
- And the many more questions that we all had when we were first starting out.
It will not all be on your shoulders, if you don’t know the answer you can find out or refer them to another member that you think would know the answer. But the best thing that will happen is the possible friendship that may develop for you and Escribiente. This will make the new member gain confidence in their ability as a calligrapher and feel like one of us (experienced calligraphers anyway) much faster. I remember the excitement of looking at all the strange tools, the mystery of how do they make those pens make letters like that and many other questions.
If you are interested in becoming a Mentor or having a Mentor, contact Jan Florence: H 505-281-5771 (call first) - C 505-269-8867; email: